Tourists who are traveling to Ethiopia must apply for a visa. It is recommended to apply for a visa before your departure. The following information is available and updated from time to time at www.ethiopianembassy.org . Embassies in each home country will also provide additional, up-to-date information for your local area.
Basic information concerning tourist visa applications:
- Current passport valid for at least six months
- One recent passport-size photograph
- Copy of permanent residency card, green card, I-94 or work permit
- A completed visa application form
- Service fees will be paid in money order, check or certified bank check made payable to Embassy of Ethiopia (Visa Fees)
- A self-addressed return envelope with sufficient prepaid postage
- If all necessary requirements are met, the visa may be issued within few business days
Visa Application upon Arrival at the airport:
Tourist visa may be issued for three months on arrival at Bole International Airport for nationals and residents of the following countries:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Democratic people's Republic of Korea (North Korea), Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea (South Korea), the Russian Federation, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America.
NOTE: Eritreans and foreign nationals of Eritrean Origin cannot be issued a visa on arrival. They must obtain an entry visa prior to their departure to Ethiopia.